“The Montessori experience at an early age prepares children at a later age to be able to isolate, classify, discriminate, analyze, and use critical thinking skills. It is a basis for creative learning and intellectual curiosity.” ~ Dr. Maria Montessori
Montessori classroom is divided in to five main subject areas
- Practical Life
- Geography & Cultural Studies
Each area contains hands on activities to help children learn by touching. In addition Montessori classrooms are carefully planned out to give children a sense of order, build concentration, and develop social skills. Montessori curriculum is designed to increase child’s self-confidence, self-esteem and self-control. When this happens, children feel good about themselves and are able to interact appropriately with their others.
Unlike traditional schools, Montessori school groups children in 3 year age span, meaning children as young as 3 will be combined with children as old as 6. This benefits both the older and younger children.
Benefits for younger child
- They learn from a peer and feels less pressured
- They are given a different perspective than from the teacher
- They get excited about the higher level lessons that the older children are working on
- Social interaction
Benefits for the older child
- They get to teach and help a peer
- They feel self-confident in their ability to guide younger peers
- The lessons are remembered, repeated and reinforced in their minds
- Social interaction
In addition, children get to stay with one teacher who knows their current abilities, interests and can help guide each child along his or her own natural path of learning and achievement in the most productive and nurturing manner.
Montessori education method is the only scientifically proven early childhood education method. Montessori schools teach your child to be self-motivated and think outside the box. Below are a few famous people who went to Montessori school and who attribute their success to Montessori education.
- Google co -founders – Larry Page and Sergey Brin
- Amazon Founder – Jeff Bezos
- Wikipedia co-founder – Jimmy Wales
- Video Game Pioneer – Will Wright
- Nobel Prize Winner – Gabriel Garcia Marquez